Thursday, February 28, 2013

Simpler Times...


Botticelli: He has my heart.  I adore every piece of his work.

I think about my favorite time period, The Medieval and Renaissance, and it's crazy to think about the differences between our world and theirs.  What must it have been like to not have all of the "comforts" of our modern society?  When a trip to the neighboring village was a big deal, and a excursion to a major city was a life changing experience.  


                                                   At some points I think it might be a joy to escape the world 
Chivalry at it's finest.
we know, for a simpler life.  A life with no Facebook status updates bragging about who-knows-what, Pinterest pins letting me know that I may never be a domestic diva, or XBOX keeping my husband up half the night playing Halo (Thanks Jeff and Josh!).  I think about what it might have been like for Jane Austen going to a country ball, or Anne Boleyn making her life at court.  Oh, for the chivalry!  Oh, for the clothing!
Henry VIII

Honestly the only things I think I might miss from this world... Indoor plumbing and hot showers.  I could live without electricity, makeup, cell phones, etc.  I would gladly hand write letters of correspondence, go without makeup, and read by candlelight.  Heck, I might even submit myself to the fact that I would be married off for my family's own betterment; though I would hope to have a husband that wouldn't try and control me too much.  The only downfall... I would hate to be in my fertility predicament then.  That was the woman's main job... to produce heirs.  Think of Henry VIII's wives... he divorced one and killed another for the single fact of not bearing him healthy sons.  Too bad good ole Hal didn't realize that the male determines the sex of a baby!

 Even though, I would still like to be able to live in the old days...It would be a relief to escape feeling such ineptitude in so many aspects of my modern life!  Though it would definitely be a benefit to go with the knowledge of today's world, even if it might lead me to being burned at the sate for witchcraft!  Dr. Brown...Marty McFly...Where are you?  I need to borrow your time machine! I don't want to go "Back to the Future," but To the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment